Sunday, August 12, 2007

Newsletter Jan/Feb 2007

"Fickle Ferdy has done it again!!!"

We’re back and with lots of Pipe Dream news. In the last newsletter I said we had put Pipe Dream up for sale and were looking at newer and bigger boats. It has always been my dream to own a catamaran, you know, a party condo on the water. After listing my “tuna schooner” with a broker he started showing us catamarans in the 38 to 40 foot range. These things were gigantic, lots of space for entertaining, three or four bedrooms, large decks for parties and big all over. I just stood there and dreamed of the future while Jutta looked at the basics. She’s no fun! She called me into the galley (for those of you land lubbers that’s the kitchen,) only one drawer and two cabinet doors. Where is all the storage? Oh, it’s under the settee (couch). We both love to cook and this sucks out loud. No problem, we can solve this; we will look at cats (catamarans) in the 42 to 45 foot class. That was more like it: Queen size beds, extra large galleys, lots and lots of cabinetry. These are the cats for me! Oops, a quick look at the listing price of $400,000 to $500, 00 made my stomach do a somersault. Due to the lack of response in the “Help Ferdy Cruising Fund”, $3 dollars in the last six years, these tubs were out of the question.
We might have been slapped down by reality but we weren’t whipped yet. We started looking for used mono-hulls (one hole in the water to throw money into rather than two) like Pipe Dream but with new, modern amenities. After looking the entire month of December we finally found the boat we loved. But again, the dollar sign was the only hindrance from owning a beautiful Hylas. My god, you should have seen the price tag!!!!
Yes, you guessed it, we are keeping Pipe Dream and are remodeling. We are adding a large freezer, flat panel TV, new dodger and bimini (canvas and cockpit shade), solar panels, new easy to use rigging (things that control the sails,) a state of the art crackerjack navigation system, etc.,etc.. I forgot the decorator items! The sad truth is we didn’t find one boat that had been maintained and babied like Pipe Dream. In another month and a half we should be liv'n large, cruising the Bahamas, play’n again like the idle rich. Then we will run north, up the Eastern Seaboard and put Pipe Dream to bed again in Savannah. It seems Jutta has a niece getting married in Germany in July and we must attend the wedding. More ammunition for my next newsletter!
A lot of thought went into keeping Pipe Dream and continue the cruising life for several more years. We have decided to start chartering Pipe Dream on a part-time basis. Part-time so it won’t be like work! This is a “crewed charter” which means Jutta and I will pick up a couple somewhere in the Bahamas, the Caribbean, the Florida Keys etc, and take them aboard sailing for 3-5 or 7 days. They will have our master stateroom, gourmet meals and drinks included (yes, booze). We would like to have others experience the joy of sailing in paradise, and what a thrill to be aboard with Captain Ferdy. Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention I passed all the tests for my captains (master) license and am anxiously awaiting the written proof of my accomplishment from the Coast Guard. I wonder if they would be interested in donating to the “Help Ferdy Cruising Fund?” I will expect a little more respect in the future.
Jutta took off the month of January to visit her mother in Germany. This freed up my time to work on the boat and study for my captain’s test. I was very glad I had things to keep me busy; I get really tired of chasing those cocktail waitresses around the decks!
It's mid-February and we are finishing up the odds and ends on the boat. The Miami Boat Show starts in a few days and we plan to purchase the navigation system at the show and get the boat show discount. Installing that piece of equipment and putting Pipe Dream into the ship yard to paint the bottom should just about finish our remodeling of Pipe Dream. Then, "ADIOS", we are out of here, back to cruising in paradise.
Living on a sailboat gives you lots of time to think of the future and adventures to come. If this charter business pays off, this could be a financial windfall to the owners of Pipe Dream. If any of you are reading this newsletter would be interested in buying stock in the “Help Ferdy Cruising and Charter Business” let me know. This could be your retirement nest egg (or mine!). If you have any friends/ acquaintances who are interested in a crewed charter trip on Pipe Dream, please have them contact us.

From the decks of Pipe Dream

Ferdy and Jutta

No comments: